National Academies Publishes Proceedings of Workshop on Successes and Challenges in Biomanufacturing
Posted on March 21, 2023 by Lynn L Bergeson
By Lynn L. Bergeson and Carla N. Hutton
That National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) hosted an October 2022 workshop on successes and challenges in biomanufacturing. The workshop brought together biomanufacturing stakeholders across industry, academia, and government with expertise across diverse fields, including United States-based and international speakers. According to NASEM, discussions spanned the breadth of biomanufacturing contexts and applications, including bioindustrial and biopharmaceutical manufacturing. NASEM’s Proceedings of a Workshop-in Brief provides a high-level summary of the topics addressed at the workshop. Topics covered include:
- Biomanufacturing for Sustainability and a Circular Bioeconomy;
- Regulation and Standards;
- Biomanufacturing Workforce Development and Education;
- Economic Considerations and Challenges in Biomanufacturing;
- Biomanufacturing Ecosystems and Partnerships;
- Translating Lessons from Different Biomanufacturing Sectors;
- Modeling, Data, Analysis, and Process Control;
- Biomanufacturing Platform Development; and
- Biomanufacturing Infrastructure and Tools for Scaling.
NASEM notes that the summary should not be viewed as consensus conclusions or recommendations of NASEM.